Thursday, October 07, 2004

Initial October Offering

I started this blog back in January or February of 2003. This is the first post I've written in the month of October.

Tonight I couldn't resist.

It's approaching midnight on the East Coast. And while one Northeast team just completed its playoff game, another is in the middle of a game in southern California.

Tonight's Game 2 between the Yanks-Twins, the first jewel in a post-season comprised of duds to this point, was reminiscent of another Game 2 in an LDS series. Nine years ago, actually.

Baseball is unforgiving in how long it can keep your stomach in knots. Minutes and innings, and then more minutes and innings. Your stomach stays in knots, the hair gets a little thinner, the night becomes a little longer. And I wouldn't trade that feeling for gold.

My friend called me in the top of the 12th, about 35 seconds after Torii Hunter drilled a high fastball to give the Twins a one-run lead.

The conversation consisted of fragments of thoughts and analysis that probably betrayed just how frazzled we were. My present thought: just get either one of the first two guys on base. (They did.)

His general thought: they're done. (They're not.)

The Angels have the lead-off man on in a tie game in the 5th.

I guess it's a moot point to discuss whether or not the Yankees would have been done if they lost tonight. Probably. But I wasn't ready to concede the series, even if they had been down 2-0. I was in 2001; I thought that series was dead, dead, deadskie. I didn't even think it would come back to New York from Oakland. But not to the Twins. Not this year.

Oh man. Anaheim just popped up a sac bunt with 1st and 2nd and 0 outs...

Erstad up.

HBP. Bases loaded.

Youknowwho is up.

And he delivers again. Two-run double up the gap in right-center. 3-1 Anaheim.

Yesterday's game was such a dud. It's nice to see this game living up to the series' advanced billing.

I probably won't make until the end... It's now past midnight, and the eyes are getting heavy. I've been doing very little besides watching baseball for five hours...

Anderson just ripped a ball down the first base line -- right to Millar, which he caught and then nonchlantly stepped on the bag for the unassisted DP. End of inning.

Joe Benigno is starting his overnight show on WFAN in New York... The sign that it's approaching the wee small hours.

Did I mention that this is my favorite month?


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?