Thursday, May 28, 2009

Even.
(To be thrown off by a 1/2 game this afternoon)

I hope my buddy doesn't mind me snagging a snippet of an email I wrote to him the other day:

Look, I'm not getting excited yet. I'm really not. I still think Boston is going to win the division; they're still my favorite to get the World Series. However . . . some of these cracks need immediate attention from them. Ortiz? I honestly think he's going to right the ship. He's never going to hit 40 home runs again, but I think by mid-summer he'll be hitting respectably again with some pop. I just can't believe that he's just done.

But if he is . . . then that's a huge advantage for the Yankees.

Papelbon is still really good, but I like the fact that he's showing some vulnerability. Maybe people are sitting fastball more? Santos certainly did on Saturday. I didn't see the pitch to Mauer last night.

Their rotation is in some upheaval (will Dice-K return to form? What about Penny's spot in the rotation long-term?), and they've had some bumps & bruises so far too.

Long-term perspective, I think the Sox win the division and the Yanks are fighting for the Wild Card.

Short-term? There's no reason the Yanks, with the way they're playing, can't stay step-for-step with the Sox for the next 2 weeks, leading up the June 9/10/11 series at Fenway.

And I wouldn't be shocked if the Yanks head to Boston up a game or 2 in the standings by the time that series rolls around.

Well, now that the Yanks are back to even in the A.L. East, they can begin the business of actually building that game or two lead by the morning of June 9.

Two weeks ago I highlighted the May 19-June 4 stretch as an interesting/challenging one for Boston. They're 5-4 now, with still seven games left on the current road trip, this afternoon in Minny; three in Toronto; and three in Detroit.

If the Yankees were going to start nippin' at their heels, this was the chunk in the schedule when that was going to happen. However, when it comes to the Sawx there's no real demise to speak of, nothing to get gleeful about. Yet. Sure, they've scored three runs or less in 6 of their last 10 games and the Big Papi Problem doesn't seem to be getting any better. But three of the top four guys in the current line-up are still hitting .307/.339/.373. And Lowell, whose batting fifth today is hitting over .300 as well. Jason Bay continues to sport an OPS north of 1.000

The real concern is Beckett (5.01 ERA) & Lester (6.07), and Dice-K (8.82 in 16.1 IP) to a lesser extent. They can live with Matsuzaka floundering in the short-term until he gets his feet back under him. They can't live with the front of their rotation continuing to be so hittable.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?